Tuesday 4 December 2012

The Confederation Issue


THE CONFEDERATION ISSUE

In 1927 the Post Office issued four regular stamps and a Special Delivery [E3] to celebrate the 60th anniversary of confederation.  The one cent orange #141 with the face of Sir John A. Macdonald was the only one precancelled.


Unlike Admirals and Small Queens for example it is little seen in PC albums since it was only overprinted in 3 styles for two towns and there are only 6 variants.  The entire listing for the Scott #141 is:

 

MONTREAL 6-141

MONTREAL 6-141-I

MONTREAL 7-141

MONTREAL 7-141-I

TORONTO 12-141

TORONTO 12-141-I

The highlighted item is rare and catalogued at $200 and is on my want list but is a rare item I was not really aware of and have never seen as far as I recall.

A very fine used non PC example in Unitrade is $2 and all the regular PC’s are priced below this with the Toronto regular being only 50 cents.  This may be because SCPC is being conservative or because a large number of PC’s from this issue were precancelled if only for two cities.  In theory this is a possibility since domestic and local rates at that time were 2 cents per ounce and “printed matter” was 1cent per 4 ounces.  If anyone has more information about how many precancelled number 141 were issued let me know.  Given its low price, I do not have a large number of duplicates which may indicate it was not overprinted in large volume. 

No comments:

Post a Comment